Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income you may be eligible for Housing Benefit, or for Universal Credit, which will help pay part or all of your rent. Our Operations Manager will be able to tell you if you are entitled to Housing Benefit and any other benefits. They will also be able to help you claim.

Direct payments

Housing Benefit for rent is normally paid to you by post office giro or cheque. However, you can ask the local authority to pay your Housing Benefit directly to CHISEL. We encourage all tenants to do this as it makes payment much simpler, for you and us.

Universal Credit is normally all paid direct to the tenant, but in certain circumstances the housing element of it can be paid directly to CHISEL.

Your responsibility

Any arrears that occur due to delays in Housing Benefit or Universal Credit are your responsibility. You must chase the Housing Benefit Department (or for Universal Credit, the Dept for Work and Pensions) about your claim if it is not being paid. Even when Housing Benefit is paid directly to us it is still your responsibility to check that all payments are being made. You should receive written confirmation from the Housing Benefit Department and you can check payments on your quarterly rent statements.

Contact the Operations Manager or your Housing Benefit Department if you are unsure about what to do.

Misdirected payments

If you have arranged for your Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit to be paid directly to us and it is accidentally paid directly to you, you must make sure that you pay it into your rent account.

Reviewing your claim

Housing Benefit will review your claim periodically. It is important that you complete the renewal form and send it back immediately, otherwise your claim may not run continuously and you will be responsible for the whole rent. Similarly you should not ignore any other correspondence from the Housing Benefit Department, as your claim could be adversely affected. If you are in doubt, please talk to our Rents Officer or Operations Manager who will be able to help you.

If you have any problems or queries about your rent, please contact our Rents Officer for advice immediately:

Tel: (020) 8692 5258
Email: [email protected]

Sign up for our newsletter

Sign up to receive the Chisel newsletter and news updates. We will never share your details with other organisations.

Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.
Scroll to Top